Show latest version info

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Some other possible idea for YLAD...

I would love to show the latest version additions, in other words that what is shown in the History pivot, but only for the latest version.

Some solutions for this

• Navigation uri with querystring option, so that History get's focus and not the default about detail
  • Ask some static class of YLAD to return this info
  • Do my own XML parsing of the Data.xml file :)

The latests option is just something I could do on my own :)

But wouldn't it be great the YLAD would have some class that can handle it for me?

Example:

What do you think?

Coordinator
Dec 19, 2011 at 10:51 PM
Edited Dec 19, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Hi Depechie,

Of the three solutions you mentioned, the first one already is possible in the current release:

> Navigation uri with querystring option, so that History get's focus and not the default about detail

The following code snippet demonstrates how to do that (taken from the documentation page):

string url = string.Format("/YourLastAboutDialog;component/AboutPage.xaml?{0}={1}", AboutPage.SelectedPivotItemHeaderKey, "history");
NavigationService.Navigate(new Uri(url, UriKind.Relative));

That of course assumes that you have a pivot item named "history"; if you're using localization you have to pull this information from somewhere dynamically. You can also use the index of the item instead, if that is more convenient for you.

The reason I tend to the point of view where I do not want to add specific version history handling or even storing such information in isolated storage etc. is that at the moment the project is really generic when it comes to the items that are shown. You can show a version history, but that is only one of the samples I have used (because it's such an obvious use case). It is not mandatory to have a version history item at all; instead, you can put whatever you want in the dialog, which is a benefit of YLAD not knowing anything about the items it generates (no semantics, except of course for the data pulled from WMAppManifest.xml).

So adding knowledge about something like a version history either will force users to use it (even if they don't want to), or adds complexity to the component to behave differently if certain information is provided or not. The first case is out of the question; nobody should be forced to use any feature they don't want to use (if you remember I even removed the need to fill in all of the base app details based on one of your suggestions). The second one sounds plausible at first, but thinking about it some more brings up quite some questions. For example, unfortunately not all of us are using semantic versioning/assembly versions to identify updates, which makes it really hard to unify this in a consistent way that makes everybody happy - it's no problem as long as you simply highlight a piece of text because it's the first one in a paragraph (the current visual formatting logic), but it's a different story to interpret and compare information which may not even be in a nicely comparable format.

If you have additional thoughts on this, please feel free to share them.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Ha great! The navigation with querystring looks good... I am going to try that one in one of my apps!!

And about the other ideas, thanks for the detailed info! I now see that indeed having a more open/generic of ylad would indeed benefit more people.